Wednesday 6 May 2020

2B CAUSATIVE REVIEW ( have/get smth done)

Dear 2B seniors!

Welcome to your eighth week of online tuition!  We are going to start with a little review of important grammar points so that we can carry out an exam on Wednesday. I have been keeping record of the most "tricky" grammar points ( the ones which made you commit the most mistakes this year) and prepared some practice about the. So for today, we will be practising the causative. Do you remember the structure?


HAVE/GET+SOMETHING+DONE

Remember it is a passive structure , where you arrange somebody else to do something ( you ask/pay/order/somebody for a service )

When  my hairdresser's reopens, I'll have my hair cut 

which means that you do not cut your hair yourself, you get somebody to do it for you.
Have a look at the following explanatory video ro review its use. The video has 5 questions at the end. Try to answer them all.






TODAY'S ASSIGNMENT
Do you remember the structure? Good! Now let's practice with some exercises.
PRACTICE WITH THIS EXERCISE . After that , post a little paragraph ( or 5 sentences ) on the blog explaining the different services that you/ your family got done during the COVID-19 lockdown. Try to make the sentences true for you and post it by today.
Eg. I couldn't have my laptop repaired by the local computer shop.
We'll continue tomorrow with a general passive practice. See you then😉

15 comments:

  1. 1. My mum couldn´t have her hair colored by her favorite hairdresser.
    2. My father got the windshield of his car repaired by a neighbour who was mechanical.
    3. I could have my WC fixed because my father is plumber.
    4. I won´t have my birthday cake cooked by the local bakery.
    5. My sister got her manicure done by me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marta,
      Thanks for posting and well done! Please check these little corrections:
      1. My father got the windshield of his car repaired by a neighbour who was mechanical ( WHO IS A CAR MECHANIC)
      3. I could have my WC fixed because my father is (a) plumber.
      4. I won´t have my birthday cake cooked(BAKED) by the local bakery.

      I hope you find my feedback useful.

      Delete
    2. I am sorry I have to use capital letter to highlight the text. I hope you understand.

      Delete
  2. Paola tavira
    1)We got our television repaired by my young brother who is very good at machines
    2)My mum gets some fashion advice while shopping by me
    3)I couldn't have my favourite pizza from Domino's on Friday night
    4)My dog won't be bath by its vet next week as we planned
    5)My old brother can't have his beard shave by his hairdresser

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1-My mother had the documents translated.
    2-My oncle had my washing machine fixed.
    3-My sister will have my bedroom painted.
    4- My father had my fridge repaired.
    5- I had the photo printed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 I couldn't have my bedroom painted
    2 My mom couldn't have her nails done
    3 I got my hair cut by my mother
    4 My brother can't have his hair cut by his hairdresser
    5 My grandparents have their errands done by my parents

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1-I had my computer repaired
    2-My mother had the shopping done
    3-My father had his hair cut
    4-My aunt had her food cooked
    5-My grandmother had her house cleanned

    ReplyDelete
  6. -My father could not have his car fixed by the mechanic.
    -My mother made my mother cook her favorite dinner.
    -I could cut my hair because my mother is a hairdresser.
    -My brother made me food.
    -My sister repaired the bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. My mother had the nails painted by me each week
    2. My sister had her phone repaired by my father
    3. My dog had her hair cut by her animal grooming's hairdresser
    4. My father couldn't have her car repaired by my uncle
    5. I had my hair cut by my mother who is really good on that even she is not hairdresser.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1- I couldn't have my tattoo done.
    2- My mother had his laptop repaired by Amazon.
    3- I couldn´t get my hair cut.
    4- My father had the shopping done by Amazon.
    5- My grandparents have their groceries done by my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My brother couldn't get her hair cut
    My grand-mother couldn´t had his broken tooth fixed
    My mother haven´t had his house cleanedç
    I couldn´t had my shirt sewed
    I couldn´t get my gym trained

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1- I have my hair cut every month.
    2- Mary could paint your room and then you will have your room painted.
    3- I broke the heel on my shoe this morning and now I need to have it repaired.
    4- I need to have my car fixed.
    5- They had the doctor give a speech for all the students.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1-My brother had her hair cut at her barber shop yesterday
    2-I couldn't have my favourite burger from McDonal's
    3-I couldn't have my laser depilation
    4-my cat couldn't get do her ear cleaning
    5-we coundn't get us paint the house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. -My sister couldn’t get her house painted.
    -My grandmother had her hair cut by my aunt last week.
    -My sister couldn’t had her car repaired by her car insurance.
    -My dog couldn’t has his nails cut .
    -My mother gets her phone repaired by the company.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1º My mother could not go to the hairdresser to fix her hair.
    2º My mother was working from home.
    3º I have gone to the Mercadona when my mother has not been able to.
    4º My brother helped many times to clean the houses.
    5º My mother taught me new cooking récipes.

    ReplyDelete