Monday 4 May 2020

2A The Causative Review HAVE/GET+SMTH+DONE

Hello Everybody!

Welcome to your 8th week! You are doing great ! We are going to start with a little review of important grammar points so that we can carry out an exam on Wednesday. I have been keeping record of the most "tricky" grammar points ( the ones which made you commit the most mistakes this year) and prepared some practice about the. So for today, we will be practising the causative. Do you remember the structure?

HAVE/GET+SOMETHING+DONE

Remember it is a passive structure , where you arrange somebody else to do something ( you ask/pay/order/somebody for a service )

When hairdresser's reopens, I'll have my hair cut 

which means that you do not cut your hair yourself, you get somebody to do it for you.
Have a look at the following explanatory video ro review its use. The video has 5 questions at the end. Try to answer them all.


TODAY'S ASSIGNMENT
Do you remember the structure? Good! Now let's practice with some exercises.
PRACTICE WITH THIS EXERCISE . After that , post a little paragraph ( or 5 sentences )on the blog explaining the different services that you/ your family got done during the COVID-19 lockdown. Try to make the sentences true for you and post it by today.
Eg. I couldn't have my laptop repaired by the local computer shop.
We'll continue tomorrow with a general passive practice. See you then😉


19 comments:

  1. - I got my lunch done by my mother last monday.
    - I'll have two books delivered this tuesday.
    - My grandmother is having her hair cut at the moment.
    - My family and I got a pizza delivered yesterday.
    - I had a videogame delivered by Amazon last friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, Jose!
      Did you remember the structure? Remember the days of the week must use capital letters "Tuesday"

      Delete
  2. -We haven't got anything delivered this dayss.
    -My brother will get his hair cut by mom this afternoon.
    -I will get my dinner prepared by my brother tonight.
    -We got masks brought by the police from the local government.
    -My mom got her covid-19 test done at the hospital where she works last week.

    Lola Pedraza 2ºA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, Lola!

      I can see you know how to use it! Keep up the good work!

      Delete
  3. -We couldn’t get home delivery ordered.
    -We get our dinner cooked by our father every night.
    -My dog gets walked by my sister and I.
    -We get out our groceries bought by my mother every Monday.
    -I had my hair cut by my father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marta!
      Thanks a lot. Could you check your first sentence. I don't quite understand what you mean.
      best,
      Arantxa

      Delete
  4. -My mother is having her hair cut at the hairdresser's.
    -My grandmother will prepare a snack for the family.
    -I'll get a package of PC components tomorrow.
    -My family has masks at work.
    -The other day we got food from my favorite burguer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rocio!
    "My grandmother" is the subject of the verb "prepare", so you cannot use it in your causative structure, a causative structure is a passive structure. It'd be more like : " We will get our snacks prepared by our grandmother".
    Please check number 3 , 4 and 5 as well .
    Thanks a lot for your post!
    Best,
    Arantxa

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Carmelo has all her calls answered.
    2. I'm going to have the milk delivered tomorrow.
    3. I had my car repaired by a mechanic.
    4. We had our car destroyed during the night.
    5. I have my hair cut once a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carmelo!
      Thanks for posting! I can see that you understood what to do. Just check the possessive adjective " her" on the first sentence.

      Delete
  7. 1. I am going to have my hair cut tomorrow morning.
    2. I got my computer checked by a professional.
    3. None of my family members have had our covid-19 tests done.
    4. Every morning my mother has her room tidied up while she's working.
    5. I have not had any food delivered during this quarantine.
    -Joaquín Gutiérrez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joaquin!
      Well done! I can see you do not have any problems with the structure.

      Delete
  8. 1- My sister had her clothes whashed this morning.
    2- I dont have my dinner done now.
    3- How should i have my homework do?
    4- He will have his task corrected tomorrow.
    5- We get the medals winning the championship.

    Paula López Aquino

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1- I think I have to cut my hair now.
    2- I decided look clothes for will had in summer.
    3- I need to see my friends and have time to talk.
    4- Yesterday I sent my mother to get a pen because mine was wearing out.
    5- I need to get a good grade on the specific exam to enter the degree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. -My mun and I got a package delivered last Friday.
    -I have my meals done every week.
    -I am not having a hair cut in hairdresser.
    -my mun doesn't have her car repaired.
    -I don't have lunch delivered any day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. -We got our router replaced the first week
    -I couldn't have my hair cut
    -I tried to have all my projects done for their deadline
    -I need to have some videocalls done with my friends
    -I can't get my videogame console fixed because everything is closed

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete