Thursday 30 April 2020

1B READING ON MONEY AND VIDEO LISTENING

Hi , my dearest 1B students!

How is the week coming along? Congratulations on your hard work! I have the feeling that you are getting better and better. How about some READING today for start?

PART 1. ( today's assignment)
I chose a text  for you regarding money CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE READING.


Read the text in English without a dictionary, and complete the PREPARATION, TRUE FALSE, GROUPING AND MATCHING EXERCISES. Post a comment explaining the new vocab you learned today. Comment your results as well.

PART 2    EXTRA CREDIT   DOES MONEY BUY HAPPINESS?


This is an optional exercise for extra credit. Watch the clip on Monique Colman (about 2.30 minutes) for generally understanding. Choose one of the questions below and post an answer on the blog. You have the whole week to watch the video and answer the question . Watch it as may times as you want, just out of curiosity. DEADLINE Sunday 3rd.
Your answers need to be ORIGINAL. Do not copy your partner's answer, otherwise it won't be taken into account.

1. Who is the girl making the experiment? What do we know about her?
2. What is the experiment about? Could you explain?
3. What is people's reaction to her experiment? Give textual evidence
4. What conclusion does she make about the relation money-happiness after the experiment?
5. Explain what people in the experiment are going to do with the money they get.

20 comments:

  1. Lucía Yuan Infante Robles30 April 2020 at 17:22

    Hi Arantxa,
    I've got it all right and I already knew most of the vocabulary. I just learnt that children can legally have a bank account in UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Arantxa! I’m Alexis Romero, the new vocabulary that I have learnt is:
    -pocket money: paga/ “calderilla” / dinero suelto
    -chores: tareas del hogar/ tareas diarias
    -amounts: cantidades
    -average: media
    -ironing: planchar
    -dealing: negocio
    -tasks: tareas
    -wages: sueldo/ salario
    -greengrocer: verdulero
    -profit: beneficio/ ganancias

    MY RESULTS ARE:
    True/false: 4/6
    Grouping: 8/8
    Matching: 8/8

    EXTRA CREDITS:
    2. What is the experiment about? Could you explain?

    -The experiment that the actress does consists of giving away money in exchange for getting an answer (that answer is what they are looking to do the experiment) and they also ask her what she is going to do with that money
    “COMO QUE EL EXPERIMENTO ES SABER LA RESPUESTA DE LAS PERSONAS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexis!
      Very well done! The experiment wants to find out if money really brings happiness to people by...
      Also, I just wanted you to check again the meaning of "dealing" in that context

      Delete
  3. Hello Arantxa! I'm Alejandro Venegas Suárez from 1-B.

    My marks are: Act.1: 6/6. Act.2: 7/8. Act.3: 6/8.

    EXTRA-CREDIT:
    1. Who is the girl making the experiment? What do we know about her?
    The girl who makes the experiment is Monique Coleman. We know that she is an actress and she appears in movies like High School Musical. We know too that she belongs to an orgasination called "Gimme Mo".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Arantxa! I'm Marta Medina .

    My marks was:
    Act.1 : 6/6
    Act 2: 8/8
    Act 3: 7/8.
    EXTRA CREDITS:
    2. What is the experiment about? Could you explain?
    The social experiment they do is asking people what is truly important to them in their lives and nobody said the money, everyone said family, friends, pets. They wanted to give a message that money does not give full happiness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Marta!
      Good job! Did you have any difficulties with new vocab?

      Delete
  5. Good evening Arantxa!

    My marks are:
    • True or false --> 5/6
    • Grouping --> 8/8
    • Matching --> 8/8

    And today I've learned that kids on the UK can have bank accounts, I didn't see that coming. I also learned the word "ironing", which means "planchar la ropa".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, Paula!
      I am glad that you are learned from the exercise!

      Delete
  6. Act 1 3/6
    Act 2 6/8
    Act 3 3/8

    I learned a lot of vocabulary about money and also jobs that I didn't know the translation

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm Arnaldo
    True or false --> 6/6
    Grouping --> 7/8
    Matching --> 6/8
    I learned the word "chores"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arnaldo!
      Welcome back!Well done on this exercise!

      Delete
  10. Hi Arantxa, I´m Rocio and this is my results

    Ex 1: 6-6
    Ex 2: 8-8
    Ex 3: 6-8

    new vocabulary:
    - Ironing: Planchado
    - Chores: Tareas del hogar
    - Least: Menos
    - Wages: Sueldo
    - Dealing: Negocio

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Arantxa, I'm Pablo Torres
    My marks are:
    • True or false --> 6/6
    • Grouping --> 8/8
    • Matching --> 8/8

    And today I've learned that kids on the UK can have bank accounts, I didn't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Arantxa
    True/false:5/6
    Grouping:8/8
    Matching:7/8
    Question 2: The experiment consists of giving away money in exchange for getting and answer and they also ask her what she is going to do whith money

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Arantxa,
    I´m Ángela of 1ºB
    My marks are: Act.1: 6/6. Act.2: 7/8. Act.3: 8/8.

    ReplyDelete